Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
6 Things you should do after the fire is out:
- Call your insurance company.
- Call SERVPRO of Biloxi for clean up to prevent further losses.
- Separate damaged from undamaged property.
- Save undamaged property from further destruction by moving it to a safe area.
- Cooperate with the insurance company’s investigation.
- Find somewhere to stay if you cannot live in your home.
Only perform activities that you can do safely. Wet materials can be VERY heavy so please be careful!
Watch out for "slip and fall" hazards and electrical hazards when dealing with fire aftermath.
Please do not be afraid to ask for help. When in doubt, don't do it alone.
Let SERVPRO of Biloxi help you restore your home to its original condition.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (228) 396-3965
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.