Vacation Planning? Prepare your home!
Going on vacation should be relaxing and worry-free, which is why it is important to make sure your house is secure before you leave for your trip. Be SERVPRO ready so you don’t come back to damages in your home. Here are some tips for preparing your home provided by SERVPRO of Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, & Pascagoula.
Make Arrangements with an Emergency Contact.
- Choose a close friend or neighbor you trust as your emergency contact and provide them with all of your itinerary information in case they need to contact you.
- A timer on lights will give the impression someone is home.
- Leave written directions for alarm codes, doors, or other information needed to properly care for your home.
- Make sure your mail is collected; burglars often look for homes with overflowing mail.
- The Post office can suspend your mail and deliver the day you get back. Here is a link to the US Post Office.
Take plumbing and electric precautions.
- Prevent leaks and floods from damaging your home by shutting off gas and water at the meter, supply tank, or appliances.
- Turn off the water valves to washing machines, sinks, and the dishwasher.
- Unplug electronics to cut down on any possible shortages which could potentially cause a disastrous fire.
- Check your smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Adjust your thermostat for the season. Keeping your thermostat at 55-60 degrees in the winter and 75-80 degrees in the summer should help control usage.
Right before you leave:
- Notify your security company that you are leaving town.
- Take out the kitchen trash and other trash that could get smelly.
- Go on one last walk through of your house to secure windows, blinds, fences, doors, and plugs. This will ensure all entries are safe from hazardous obstructions.
If you come back from vacation and encounter damage to your home, call SERVPRO of Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, & Pascagoula 228-396-3965. We clean up mold, fire, or water damage to your home or business on the Gulf Coast.